Football opens ACC game with Hokies
Virginia Tech (2-2, 0-1) at North Carolina (3-1, 0-0)
Chapel Hill • Saturday, October 1, 2022 • 3:33 p.m. ET
Kenan Stadium (50,500) • ACC Network
Carolina Football Media Center
Series vs. Virginia Tech: VT leads 25-13-6
Series Streak: VT won the last game
Last meeting: 2021 (L, 10-17)
Last UNC victory: 2020 (W, 56-45)
Record: 3-1 (0-0 ACC)
The Head Coach: McBrown (Florida State, 1974)
Overall record: 268-140-1, 34th year
UNC Record: 93-64-1, Grade 14
Record: 2-2 (1-0 ACC)
Head Coach: Brent Pry (Buffalo, 1993)
Overall record: 2-2, 1st year
Record at Virginia Tech: Same
Kickoff: 3:30 p.m. ET
ACCN: Dave O’Brien, game by game; Tim Hasselbeck, analyst; Kelsey Riggs, sideline
Tar Heel Sports Network: Jones Angell, game by game; Brian Simmons, analyst; Lee Pace, sideline
Satellite radio: SiriusXM (109 or 203), app (966)
Website: A live radio broadcast from the Tar Heel Sports Network is available on UNC’s official sports website, GoHeels.com, as well as through the TuneIn app.
Tar Heel fans of all ages are encouraged to welcome the team to the stadium on game day. As construction continues during the 2022 season at the Kenan Football Center, Carolina team buses will arrive between the Genome Sciences Building and the Sonja Haynes Stone Black Cultural Center two and a half hours before kickoff. The team will walk through the amphitheater to the front of the Kenan Football Center before entering the building.
TAR HEELS AND HOKIES
• Carolina and Virginia Tech meet for the 19th straight season on the football field in what happens to be the ACC opener for the Tar Heels in 2022.
• UNC is 5-8-2 at home against Virginia Tech. That number includes a 2-7 mark since the Hokies joined the Atlantic Coast Conference for the 2004 season.
• The last meeting at Chapel Hill was in 2020 and eighth-ranked Carolina beat 19th-ranked Virginia Tech 56-45 on October 10. Michael Carter rushed for 214 yards and two touchdowns, Sam Howell threw for three touchdowns, and UNC finished with its highest ever score against the Hokies with 656 total yards – the No. 2 total ever posted against the Virginia Tech defense.
• The series dates back to 1895 when the Tar Heels won 32-5 at a neutral site. In fact, 16 of the first 20 fixtures were played at a neutral venue and the other four were at Chapel Hill.
• The first meeting at Chapel Hill took place in 1900, a 0-0 draw.
BROWN AGAINST. VIRGINIA TECHNOLOGY
• McBrown is 2-2 all-time against Virginia Tech.
• Brown was 1-2 against the Hokies as head coach of the Tar Heels, while at Tulane Brown beat Virginia Tech, 57-38, in 1987.
• Brown never faced Virginia Tech during his first stint as head coach in North Carolina, but the two teams met in the Gator Bowl at the end of the 1997 season.
• Carolina hits the road for two championship games at Miami on October 8 at 4 p.m. on ESPN2 and at Duke on October 15.