List of leaked Google Pixel 6 camera features
There’s no denying that Google is very much looking forward to its next Google Pixel 6 duo. The company revealed the device months before it intended to release it, and it has already been advertising the Pixel 6 before even revealing much of it. its specifications and features. XDA-Developers revealed a list of features we can expect from the Pixel 6 duo, but before we get into that, let’s take a look at the camera hardware first.
Most of what we know about the Pixel 6 and 6 Pro’s cameras is on the hardware side. The Pixel 6 will have a 50MP Samsung GN1 main sensor and a 12MP ultra-wide camera. The Pixel 6 Pro will have these latter two in addition to a 4X 48MP telephoto periscope zoom camera. The Pixel 6 Pro will see an updated 12MP selfie camera.
Along with Google’s new Pixel phones, it will take advantage of its own image processing to enable new software features and improve image quality. XDA managed to experience some of these new features never seen on Pixel devices before. These features were discovered through a leaked internal version of the Google Camera app (and from an undisclosed source) and may or may not reach final retail units.
- Wide angle front camera: Evidence in the code indicates that the Pixel 6 Pro (not the Pixel 6) will have an ultra wide angle lens. According to XDA, “Our source confirms that the Pixel 6 Pro’s selfie camera offers two preset zoom levels: 0.7X and 1.0X.”
- Video recording: The main camera will support 4K video at 60 fps, but ultra-wide and telephoto cameras are capped at 4K at 30 fps. Additionally, when recording at 4K / 60fps, the maximum zoom level is 7X. Meanwhile, recording in 4K or FHD at 60 fps allowed zooming up to 20X. The same goes for still images.
- Manual white balance: Google has been working on adding this feature, but it may not be ready yet. XDA speculates that maybe this is just a development feature, which resonates with Google’s philosophy of keeping the camera app as simple as possible.
- Magic eraser:The code named “Swiss” is linked to a feature called the magic eraser. This feature is for the Pixel 6 series and can also be accelerated by the Tensor Processing Unit (TPU) of the Tensor chip. It is supposed to allow you to easily remove objects or people from an image.
- Face deflection: This is a feature that has been confirmed by Google. It works by taking additional images of the subject (s) using the ultra-wide camera at the same time as it captures HDR images from the main camera. The TPU then processes details from both cameras to blur a face that could have been captured in motion.
- Locking the scene: This feature was recently associated with the codename “naruto”. Scene lock may be related to AF / AE lock, but its purpose is not yet clear.
- Bluetooth microphone support: The feature codename: “sapphire” and the code suggests that the feature will come, but XDAthe source could not corroborate it.
- Motion blur: suggests that a new feature will allow the user to add “creative blur effects to your photos” according to the code.
- “Nima aesthetics: appears to be related to Google’s “Top Shot” feature when Motion Photo is enabled. This functionality appears to be accelerated by Tensor’s TPU.
- Baby mode: it could be an auto capture feature which will recognize and capture babies and toddlers in cute moments while they are playing or moving around a lot.
Again, these features may or may not be built into the final Pixel 6 hardware. XDA report to see the full breakdown of each of these features and the lines of code found.